When a filling is not enough to repair decay or damage to a tooth, a dental crown is often recommended. Patients can receive crowns to protect and strengthen chipped, cracked, or damaged teeth.
Dr. Warren Gase can design and place dental crowns at his Cincinnati, OH, office. Patients have the option to use all-ceramic, porcelain fused to metal, and gold crowns. If necessary, we can provide same-day crowns so that you can leave the office with a fully functional tooth after a single appointment.
How Can a Dental Crown Help?
Dental crowns can brighten your smile while improving your oral health. Patients who receive one or more crowns can enjoy these cosmetic and restorative benefits:
- Repairing physical damage: Dental crowns can address a wide range of dental problems, including chips, cracks, advanced wear, and decay.
- Improving oral health: Infections and decay can compromise the health of surrounding teeth and gum tissue. By removing the source of the decay, you can enjoy the benefits of improved oral health.
- Saving a natural tooth: If a tooth is treated with a dental crown soon enough, you may be able to avoid the need for extraction.
- Strengthening your bite: Weak or missing teeth can compromise your ability to chew effectively and efficiently. Dental crowns can balance out your bite.
- Enhancing your smile: Dental implants are designed to mimic natural teeth as closely as possible. Consequently, a damaged smile can appear brighter and more beautiful after crown placement.
Dental crowns brighten your smile while improving your oral health.
Candidacy for the Procedure
Dr. Gase can determine whether a dental crown is appropriate for your needs during a consultation or regular cleaning. He most often suggests crowns to correct:
- Misshapen or unusually small teeth
- Misaligned bites
- Structural weakness caused by a root canal
Traditional Dental Crown
Treatment is typically split into two appointments. During the first, Dr. Gase will use a local anesthetic on and around your damaged tooth. Once you are comfortable, he will use a special tool to file down the outside of your tooth. This step removes unwanted decay while making room for the new crown.
Then, he will take an impression of your resized tooth that will be used to manufacture your new crown at an off-site lab. You may be given a temporary crown to protect your tooth until it is finished. After your new crown arrives, Dr. Gase will use a strong bonding agent to attach the crown to your natural tooth. For certain patients, our office offers same-day crowns, as well.
The timeline for an implant-supported crown is longer than a traditional dental crown. First, Dr. Gase will determine if you have adequate jawbone density to support an implant. If needed, a bone graft can be performed to ensure there is adequate bone mass near the implant site, although this will usually add several months to your treatment timeline.
Implant placement typically lasts around one to two hours. The surgery can be performed using a combination of local anesthesia, general anesthesia, or sedation. Once your implant has been successfully placed any incisions in your gums will be sutured closed. The implant site usually needs three to six months on average to heal. Depending on your procedure, you may be given a temporary bridge or crown until your permanent crown is manufactured.
After your implant has fused with the surrounding bone tissue, an abutment can be added that will connect your implant to your crown. Once this has healed, we can place the final crown.
Contact Us Today
If you have a missing or damaged tooth, a dental crown can deliver peace of mind by restoring oral function and filling the gaps in your smile. If you are ready to schedule your first appointment with Dr. Gase, please contact us online or call (513) 268-2037.
"If you are looking for a new dentist, look no further. Dr. Gase, along with his staff are top notch!!! Everyone is always very friendly and very helpful. It's like one big happy family. And your teeth get the treatment they deserve."Laila S.