What Can a Periodontist Do For Me?
If your gums are swollen, tender, or prone to bleeding, you may have some form of gum disease. Periodontitis is a leading cause of tooth loss in the United States, according to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. It often requires professional treatments by a periodontist.
If you are seeking an experienced periodontist in Cincinnati, OH, Dr. Warren Gase D.D.S. has more than 30 years of experience treating gum disease. He holds memberships in the American Dental Association, the Ohio Dental Association, and the Cincinnati Dental Society.
Gum disease causes a range of symptoms that can eventually lead to tooth loss and other serious health issues.
Do I Have Gum Disease?
Around half of adults in the United States have gum disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Most individuals who have gum disease experience symptoms such as bad breath, swollen gums, bleedings gums, loose teeth, gum recession, and tender gums. Known risk factors for gum disease include:
- Advanced age
- Smoking and tobacco use
- Certain medications
- Poor nutrition
- Systemic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes
We recommend that everyone undergo biannual dental exams. The purpose of these visits is to detect dental problems, such as tooth decay or periodontitis in their earliest stages, when they are easier to treat. During your visit to our dental practice, Dr. Gase will visually inspect your gums for signs of gum disease. If he does find symptoms of mild, moderate, or advanced gum disease, he can recommend the right treatment plan.
Research shows a link between gum disease and cardiovascular problems, such as heart disease and stroke. Addressing gum disease as soon as possible can benefit your overall health.
Benefits of Periodontal Treatments
Healthy gums are critical to maintaining oral health. Patients who undergo periodontal treatment at our dental practice can benefit from:
- A More Attractive Smile: Gum disease can cause gum tissue to bleed and swell. Once you have undergone a deep cleaning or another periodontal treatment at our office and resolved gum disease, you can benefit from a smile that looks more attractive.
- Reduced Bad Breath: Gum disease is a common cause of halitosis. Periodontal treatment can address the root causes of bad breath.
- Prevention of Future Dental Problems: Jawbone recession, tooth decay, and gum tissue recession can result from periodontitis.
- Relief from Discomfort: Even mild cases of gum disease can lead to tender and sore gums. For these individuals, brushing and flossing can be uncomfortable or even painful. Periodontal treatments strengthen gums and reduce discomfort associated with gum disease.
- Improved Overall Health: Research shows a link between gum disease and cardiovascular problems, such as heart disease and stroke.
How Is Gum Disease Treated?
Most patients can find relief from gum disease by undergoing non-surgical deep cleanings at our Cincinnati dental practice. Before the periodontal treatments are performed, Dr. Gase will administer a topical anesthetic to numb your gums. Scaling is completed using a special metal tool that removes plaque and hardened tartar from below the gumline.
This straightforward treatment is then followed with a periodontal treatment called root planing, which smooths the surface of the root to prevent the collection of bacteria in the future. If you have deep pockets of infection, Dr. Gase may need to perform a surgical treatment to address your gum disease.
Schedule Your Periodontal Treatment Today
Many dental insurance plans cover cleanings and part or all of periodontal treatments. If you have concerns about the affordability of our treatments, our office gladly accepts CareCredit® and LendingClub® financing options to help patients afford treatment. To schedule your next visit, please contact our dental office online or call (513) 268-2037.